Message sent from:

SEND 'Staff have a good understanding of pupils' needs, particularly those who are most vulnerable. Pupils with SEND achieve well.' Ofsted 2019

  • The Local Offer - what does it mean?

    What is the Kirklees Local Offer?

    The Local Offer has been developed as part of the Children and Families Act. It aims to provide information on education, health and social care provision available for disabled children and young people and those with special educational needs, in a way that can be accessed quickly and easily.

    Who is producing the Local Offer?

    Kirklees Council is working with parents, young people, schools, colleges, early years providers and health services to produce the Local Offer.

    What information do schools provide?

    Schools have a duty to provide information about special educational needs that is accessible to pupils, parents and carers. We need to make sure this information is kept up to date.

    Where can I find the Local Offer?

    The Kirklees Local Offer can be found at www.kirklees.gov.uk/localoffer

    This is a work in progress. Kirklees Council and partners are working hard to create a Local Offer that includes links to all relevant information that Kirklees residents would find useful. If you have any suggestions for improvements or ideas about what might help you, contact CSA.Admin@kirklees.gov.uk

    All Kirklees maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with a Special Educational Needs and or Disability being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

  • Admissisons

    Students with SEND are allocated places in two separate & distinct ways:

    • Those pupils with statements or EHCPs have a separate admissions procedure overseen by Kirklees SEN team.
    • Those pupils who have SEND but do not have a statement or EHCP are admitted via the normal school admissions criteria.

    Detailed information and guidance of how to apply for a place at Scholes both if your child has statement of special educational needs, or if they have special needs but do not have a statement, can be found on school office page, admissions link.

  • Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

    The SENDCo - Sarah Dearlove

    They are responsible for:

    • Coordinating all the support for children with special educational needs and disability (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
    • Ensuring that you are:
      • involved in supporting your child’s learning
      • kept informed about the support your child is getting
      • involved in reviewing how they are doing
      • part of planning ahead for them.
    • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
    • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring all the SEN needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
    • To provide specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN in the school) achieve the best possible progress in school.

    Class teachers

    They are responsible for:

    • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the SENCO know as necessary.
    • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school and are supported to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
    • Ensuring that the school’s SEN and Teaching and Learning Policy is followed in their classroom, and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

    Head teacher - Mrs Karen Burman

    She is responsible for:

    • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEN.
    • She will give responsibility and delegate to the SENCO team and class/subject teachers but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
    • She must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in the school relating to SEN.

    SEN Governor - Tasnim Ali

    She is responsible for:

    Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN.

  • How could my child get help in school?

    Children in school will get support that is specific to their individual needs.  This may all be provided by the class teacher or may involve:

    • Other staff in the school
    • Staff who will visit the school from the Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
    • Staff who visit from outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service
  • What are the different types of support available for children with SEN in this school?
    • Our school provision map shows the range of interventions in place in our school which may be used when we identify a need for additional support.
    • When the school identifies the need for additional intervention to enable a pupil to make expected progress, the parents/carers will be informed of the planned support and may be invited to a meeting at the school to discuss this further. If the pupil meets the criteria for special educational needs or disabilities (SEND), a provision map will be created, detailing the exact support the pupil will receive at Wave 1, Wave 2 and Wave 3; a copy of this will be provided to parents.
    • We will monitor the progress of all children receiving additional support to ensure that the provision we have put in place is having the impact we are expecting.
    • Governors are responsible for monitoring the effectiveness of the provision in place for pupils identified with SEND and they will receive a report from the SENCO on the progress of pupils with SEND.

    Wave 1

    Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching.

    • Ensuring that the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
    • Ensuring that all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
    • Putting in place different ways of teaching so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more kinesthetic learning and personalised teaching and learning approaches.
    • Putting in place specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) to support your child to learn.

    All children in school should be getting this as a part of outstanding classroom practice when needed.

    Wave 2

    Specific group work with in a smaller group of children. This group may be

    • Run in the classroom or outside.
    • Run by a trained member of staff who has had training to run these groups.
    • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
    • A Learning Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) may run small group sessions using the teacher’s plans either in a small group or within the classroom setting.

    Any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

    Stage of SEN Code of Practice:

    SEN SUPPORT, which means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school.

    Wave 3

    Specialist groups run by or in partnership with outside agencies e.g Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy groups and/or individual support.

    • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO (or you will have raised your worries) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to outstanding class room teaching and intervention groups.
    • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
    • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school.
    • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
      • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better
      • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise for teachers to implement
      • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g a social skills group
      • A group or individual work with outside professional
    The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

    Children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

    Stage of SEN Code of Practice:

    SEN SUPPORT, which means they have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

    Specified Individual support for your child in school.

    • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more detail about this in the Kirklees Local Offer.
    • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus.
    • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need additional funded support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Educational Health Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
    • The Statement or Educational Health Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
    • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

    Children whose  learning needs are:

    • Severe, complex and lifelong
    • Need additional funded support in school

      This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCO as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching, which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

    Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.


  • How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s/young person’s needs?
    • All teachers are provided with information on the needs of individual pupils so that they can plan the learning within our curriculum to ensure that all pupils are able to make progress.
    • Differentiation is planned for groups and individuals according to need: for example, for a child who has Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN), teachers will use simplified language and/or pictures to support them to understand new vocabulary.
    • Parents and carers are consulted to discuss where changes or adaptions can be made to the curriculum to support a child’s individual needs.
  • How will both you and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will you help me to support my child’s/young person’s learning?
    • Annual reports and once termly Parents’ Evenings give all parents and carers regular feedback on their child’s up to date academic levels, individual reading, writing and maths targets and any behavioural, emotional or social difficulties.
    • When appropriate, parents/carers may be contacted mid-term to discuss the support that the school are providing and how they can help their child at home: this may be a phone call or a meeting. Pupils’ views will be obtained and when appropriate, they may attend all or part of any meeting.
    • Individual support plans are shared and discussed with parents. Parents/ carers and pupils are involved in developing their targets and the progress they make towards achieving them.
    • Pupils on the SEN register have an individual support plan, where targets are evidenced in an IEP book, and progress is reviewed regularly.
  • How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?
    • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s Teacher initially.
    • The concerns may need referring if your child is still not making progress, to the SENCO - Sarah Dearlove.
    • If you continue to feel that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Headteacher - Karen Burman or the school SEN Governor - Tasnim Ali.
  • How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?
    • When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher must raise this with the SENCO
    • At Scholes Village Primary School, there are regular reviews and then subsequently meetings between the Senior Leadership Team and class teacher to ensure all children are making good progress. This is another way your child may be identified as not making as much progress as they could be.
    • If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail.
      • To listen to any concerns you may have
      • To plan any additional support your child may receive
      • To discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning
  • How is extra support allocated to children and how do they move between the different levels?
    • Quality First Inclusive Practice (Wave 1) is clearly defined in our setting and we expect all staff to deliver this.
    • Should additional (Wave 2 or 3) support be required, this is undertaken after consultation with the relevant staff, the learner and their families as necessary. All interventions are monitored for impact and outcomes are defined at the start of any intervention. The SENCO oversees all additional support and regularly shares updates with the SEN Governor.
    •  The school budget, received from Kirklees council, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
    • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
    • The Head Teacher and the SENCO discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including
      • the  children getting extra support already
      • the children needing extra support
      • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.
      • and decide what resources/training and support is needed.

    All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.

  • Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?

    A. Directly funded by the school

    B. Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school

    • Educational Psychology Service
    • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
    • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority).
    • Specialist Provision for ASD
    • Specialist Provision for Speech, Language and Communication
    • Support for SEMH, via the Engage Academy outreach team
    • Portex
    • Early Years SEN outreach

    C. Provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school

    • School Nurse
    • Occupational Therapy
    • Speech and Language Therapy
    • Health Visitor
  • How are the teachers in school supported to work with children with an SEN and what training do they have?

    The job of the SENCO is to support the teachers in planning for children with SEN.

    • The school has a training plan for all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children including those with SEN. This includes whole school information & training on SEND issues such as ASD, dyslexia  etc.

    Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class e.g from the ASD Outreach service.

  • How will the teaching be adapted for my child with learning needs (SEND)?
    • Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.
    • Support staff will support with your child’s learning in the classroom.
    • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and/or in groups.
    • Planning and teaching will be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs.
    • Quality First Inclusive Practice (Wave 1) is clearly defined in our setting and we expect all staff to deliver this.
    • Should additional (Wave 2 or 3) support be required, this is undertaken after consultation with the relevant staff, the learner and their families as necessary. All interventions are monitored for impact and outcomes are defined at the start of any intervention. The SENCO oversees all additional support and regularly shares updates with the SEN Governor.
  • How will we measure the progress of your child in school?
    • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by their teacher, both formally and informally.
    • Their progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level is given in each subject.
    • If your child is not operating within age related expectations, they will be assessed against small broken down steps to achieving targets (B Squared Small Steps) and pre Key Stage standards.
    • At the end of Key Stage 2 the school is required to report English, Maths and Science National Curriculum levels for your child. This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally.
    • The progress of children with a statement of SEN/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
    • The SENCO will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in.
  • What support do we have for you as a parent of child with an SEN?
    • We work in partnership with parents to support each child/young person’s well-being, learning needs, progress and aspirations.
    • We operate an open-door policy to allow parents to contact their child’s class teacher with ease.
    •  We would like you to talk to your child’s teacher regularly so we know what they are doing at home and we can tell you about what we are doing in school.  We hope this will make sure that we are doing similar things to support your child both at home and school and can share what is working in both places.
    • The SENCO is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
    • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report. The SENCO will also arrange to meet with you to discuss any new assessments and ideas suggested by outside agencies for your child.
    • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual needs.
  • What support will there be for my child’s/young person’s overall well-being?
    • The well-being of all of our pupils is our primary concern at Scholes Village Primary School . They are supported with their social and emotional development throughout the school day, through the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and Jigsaw are integral to our curriculum and are also taught explicitly on a weekly basis. We also have a well-being team who support pupils, parents and staff. They are Sarah Dearlove, Allison Hainsworth, Caroline Holt and Gaynor Aspinall.
    • Additional support from specialist staff is arranged as needed for individual pupils, both in and out of the classroom; a tailored personal plan may be put in place for pupils with the highest need
    • Our Behaviour Policy; which includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions is fully understood and in place by all staff.
    • We regularly monitor attendance, support pupils returning to school after absence and take the necessary actions to prevent prolonged unauthorised absence.
    • Relevant staff are trained to support medical needs and in some cases all staff receive training. We have a medical policy in place.
    • Pupils’ views are sought through school council and other forums.
  • How have we made Scholes Village Primary School accessible to children with SEN?
    • Scholes Village Primary School is an inclusive setting that welcomes all children regardless of their abilities.
    • We have an Accessibility Plan in place and where feasible, make reasonable adjustments to improve the accessibility of our environment to meet individual needs. Our policy and practice adheres to The Equality Act 2010.
    • We monitor the languages spoken by families in our settings and make use of translation sites via our website and endeavour to arrange for a translator to attend meetings when necessary.
    • The school is fully accessible to children and adults, with full disabled access and toilet facilities.
    • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
    • We provide support with homework and access to the IT suite at lunchtime and before school.
    • Key words and literacy resources are used across the school to support learning.
  • How will we support your child when they are leaving this school?
    • We have very good relationships with our feeder settings and the settings that most of our pupils move onto; we share information to support pupils’ learning and well-being at transition
    • Further support is provided as necessary for those with SEND including additional visits to the new setting, both individually and as part of an enhanced transition programme for identified pupils.
  • What training have the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?
    • We regularly invest time and money in training our staff to improve Wave 1 provision for all students, to develop enhanced skills and knowledge to deliver Wave 2 (short term support interventions) and Wave 3 (individualised support and interventions).
    • Our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) is a qualified and experienced teacher and is working towards the national qualification in Special Educational Needs, as well as receiving ongoing SEN training in specific areas.
    • All our teachers hold qualified teacher status and all staff members, including TAs and cover supervisors, receive regular training to best support our pupils with SEND, for example in dyslexia, Autism, speech and language needs.
  • How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?
    • Our Equality/Inclusion Policy promotes involvement of all of our learners in all aspects of the curriculum including activities outside the classroom.
    • Where there are concerns for safety and access, a personalised risk assessment is carried out to consider if reasonable adjustments can be made to meet any additional needs; if appropriate parents/carers are consulted and involved in planning.
  • Who can I contact for further information?
    • In the first instance, parents/carers are encouraged to talk to their child’s class teacher. For students with SEND, further information and support can be obtained from the SENCO.
  • What is an EHCP?

    Here's a video to help understand what an EHCP is:


Hit enter to search